Sunday, August 4, 2013

I Am Not Going To A Protein Bar

When I heard the name Protein Bar I immediately conjured up a place where you could get a protein shake, a concoction of whey and malted flavoring. My breakfast stop before Lollapalooza in Chicago was a pleasant surprise. Usually I would not be inclined to stop at a place like this because I would rather have some sugar coated donuts from Dunkin Donuts.

The menu convinced me to stay for breakfast. It was all organic, gluten-free, and healthy. And the best part was that it not just drinks! The menu boasts bowls, burritos, and salads for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I couldn't decide on just one item from the menu so I decided to share with Joseph and he ordered the southwest burrito and I chose the pesto egg bowl. Made with all egg whites and fresh ingredients it was a chance to put healthy eating to the test. Could it really taste good?

The protein shakes were a surprise as well. Boasting flavors that burst when paired together such as peanut butter, bananas, chocolate, strawberry, and blueberry cleverly named Wrigley Peeled and Pier-nut Butter and Jelly. You could have soy, almond, or skim milk with energy boost. 

The food was phenomenal and I didn't feel guilty about eating it! Recreating these foods and drinks at home is my next way to staying happy and healthy. Although this didn't stop me from going to Dunkin Donuts later that day ;)

http://www.theproteinbar.com/



7 comments:

  1. I always try the shakes and never like them. The protein is so strong or the whey I guess. In college we had a smoothie bar near the gym that offered these. I'm sure there are good ones out there. I have just not found one or good at making them taste good either. I will check this site out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE protein shakes but these didn't even taste like one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of a Protein Bar. That's such a neat idea. I can't say I'd be against going to one, but I would worry about some of the additives that they'd be putting in the shakes (Is protein powder harmful or is that just for growing kids using it for lifting?). Though it would be nice to have a healthy place for food nearby. So often I feel guilty about what I eat. Thanks for the post! I'll have to be on the lookout for something similar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a neat thing to check out! Hopefully they start to trickle to the east coast. Great post. One brand that I love and feel is research based product is Isagenix. It is undenatured protein, which means your body is able to utilize more of the protein. Protein shakes are beneficial as recovery drinks for people that are increasing their fitness levels. I would say make sure to do your research or consult someone that is educated before using them. Protein that is taken excessively and not used can be stored as fat. Women can absorb about 20-25 grams of protein in one sitting (which is usually one scoop of whey protein) and men can absorb 30-35 grams. So if someone is just downing protein shakes and not working out, they can also result in weight gain. People need to be savvy consumers when eating them. They can also be great as a breakfast substitute if someone doesn't usually have time in their day to eat in the morning. It is great fuel and keeps you feeling full during the day. Since it is early you are also more likely to burn it off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where was this protein bar? I have a love hate relationship with protein shakes. I was on a kick for a little while then ended up going overboard and making myself sick. I am at the point in my life where I would like to try them again (in moderation lol). It is nice that there are places out there that show you that healthy can be tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a place we need on the Cape! I will say it would take some coercing to get me to in, though!! I would be intimidated by the healthy menu! Haha! My girls are athletes and my husband is always getting protein powders at GNC to get them to drink them after workouts. I'm curious if you've heard of Think Thin bars. I brought my daughter to a nutritionist this year and she recommended them because they had 20g of protein. They were designed with diabetics in mind, I guess. Was just wondering if you'd heard of them or if you have any suggestions for others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really interested in going gluten free just for the benefits. I really wish we had someplace here in Casper that would cater to people who want to be healthy. We are growing so fast, but the restaurants coming in are things like: Pizza Ranch, Buffalo Wild Wings, Five Guys Burgers and Fries! Hello - we are already inundated with fat! I would love to have some of your recipes if you recreate them at home. How lucky you are.

    ReplyDelete