Sunday, August 18, 2013

Luna Bar and a Banana


I am a creature of habit and for the past several years I have been eating the same breakfast each day.  I have a Luna Bar and a banana.  Even after being pregnant and having morning sickness, I still came back to my go to morning routine.  I looked a little bit more into what Luna Bars are offering to me health-wise, besides the delicious flavors such as peanut butter cookie, lemon zest, and caramel nut brownie. 

Luna Bars boast the Core 4 for women.  They provide calcium, vitamin D, iron, and folic acid.  They help with bone growth, make red blood cells and enzymes, and develop cells and essential proteins for our bodies.  They are 70% organic and therefore help to eliminate toxins from your diet.  Besides all the health benefits I have discovered that these are the perfect texture.  Not to dry.  Not to hard.  Not to chewy.  They taste exactly like the description.  I swear that I am eating a piece of carrot cake when I eat the Luna Carrot Cake bar, complete with cream cheese frosting!

I have always heard that bananas are high in potassium and help to lower blood pressure.  That seemed like a good enough reason to eat one but here are some other great reasons to eat them! (click on the link below)


If you want to find out more about Luna Bars, check out their website too.







6 comments:

  1. I also have a banana every morning but mine is in a smoothie. I am wishy washy about bars like this because of the sugar content. Do you think the good outweighs the bad? Is the high sugar content worth the other health benefits that the bars offer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I think you have a right to question the value of the bar when it is high in sugar (depending on the brand or type). High sugar defeats the purpose in some situations. Sometimes the quick sugar is a great carbohydrate for exercise or for recovery from exercise. But eating sugar while you are sitting at a desk can lead to weight gain. A protein bar or real food may be better for a person than added sugar from a bar. I really try to look at the ingredients of bars as well. Look at the nutrition facts and if you see % daily values that are higher than 20% for vitamins and minrerals and protein from 10-20 grams that is a good option because it is offering more to you besides empty calories from sugar. Most likely if there is a lot of protein and other nutrients in a bar it is higher in calories and more of a meal replacement bar.

      Delete
  2. Great post! Luna bars are about the only ones I will eat, but I never checked out the package! Classic me. Having this blog has helped me on many fronts!! I am going to look for the carrot cake flavor, as that's one of my guilty pleasures. Thanks for the link and also the info on bananas. I am going to stay tuned during the school year. I need to lose the 20 pounds I have gained in my master's program over the last 20 months. If you can find a way to encourage a person who hates exercise, I'd love to read it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also really enjoy nutrition bars throughout the day. They are very convenient. I am reluctant about some bars because they have a lot of ingredients or have highly processed ingredients in them or GMO's. One bar that I have found that doesn't have GMO's and has whole ingredients in them are Larabars. They are great because there are only about 3-5 ingredients in most of them--don't contain preservatives or other sweetners. Fruit in the morning is definitely a good option. I sometimes eat my banana with a scoop of peanut butter just to get some protein in. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I may try your morning routine as it seems so much easier and more variety in the Luna bars than plain whole grain cereals. I love bananas, too. I did not know that they were a wart remover and I shared that with Zoe who has immediately taped a piece of the peel to her wart to see if will be able to be removed. She'll try almost anything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Luna Bars sounds great! I want to try them. I did not realize all the great benefits for bananas. I do love them and especially in the smoothies. I know someone who eats the same thing for lunch everyday. I feel like it would get old. Breakfast I could probably do especially since I am always in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete