Sunday, July 14, 2013

Namaste

I tried something I have never really showed interest in.  YOGA.  I hate stretching.  I refuse to stretch before I run and I avoid stretching routines when I teach Jazzercise class.  A friend invited me to go with her so I decided to give it a shot.  Downward dog, cobra, pigeon poses...is this exercise or a zoo.  We started off with a lot of breathing. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale. Ok, you get it, right.  Then we went right into some downward dog work to stretch out our legs. Plank, in, out, up, downward dog.  Repeat over and over.  My unstretched body was starting to feel things it had never felt before.  Then off the floor into SUPER hard lunges and warrior poses.  Push those hips down is what I heard again and again form the instructor who was surprisingly a mix of zen and drill sergeant.  The end was beautiful.  Inhale your mind and heart, exhale your stress and negativity.  Keep your palms up on the floor so they can soak in the good energy.  Felt amazingly peaceful after this experience.  We all said namaste at the end of the class. I looked up this ancient Hindu word and here is the beautiful message that I found. 

 
www.healing.about.com

6 comments:

  1. I have always been jealous of those women that get a good workout from Yoga. It seems like a great workout while getting you centered at the same time. Are you going to keep up with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yoga is offered at my gym so my goal is to go once a week. Hopefully!

      Delete
  2. I am pretty impressed by those who do it and feel good!! I took a few yoga classes and tore my c-section scar tissue with some crazy stretch...extremely painful. That was the end of that. I look forward to reading about your journey with yoga. So many people love it down where I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our instructor walked around and moved our body into the correct positions. She was a very good instructor so I think that helps.

      Delete
  3. Your post made me laugh. I also hate stretching and saw yoga as a fancy word for naptime. It is a lot harder than it looks! However, I still think I prefer kickboxing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yoga is one of those activities that can be useful to people for so many different reasons. For some people is is calming and aids in relaxation or focus, while others get s good workout or physical benefits. I think physical activity is always just as much mental and physical. You need motivation to start, perseverance to keep going, or at the end you get that satisfaction and self esteem boost for having pushed your body. ONe quote from an instructor I won't forget is, "No one ever leaves the gym and says I wish I hadn't come!" I hope yoga is something that works for you Jen...I need to get back to it. I loved it when I did it.

    ReplyDelete