Friday, July 12, 2013

Shoe Shopping

It was time to buy a new pair of running shoes.  I knew it was time because my big toe joints were cramping up after I would run.  I was limping around the house and was worried about the 10K that I was running in just THREE days.  I asked an avid runner, Joseph, to come along with me to pick out my new pair of running shoes.  I was currently wearing a cute pair of Saucony shoes that has served their time very well.  They were light on my feet and a beautiful pink and orange color that always received compliments.  I tried on several pairs of Asics based on the advice from Joseph.  

GEL-DS Trainer® 18 

This is the Gel DS Trainer.  This shoe was very comfortable and hugged my heel correctly.  It just felt a little to heavy to run in.  That is why I liked my Saucony's, because they were light and airy when I ran.  Even though this shoe would last a long time I decided to move on to the next shoe.

GEL-Noosa Tri™ 8 
Meet the Gel Noosa Tri 8.  This shoe is designed for triathlon athletes so it is light. Almost an ounce lighter than the Gel DS Trainer even!  It is very breathable and even glow in the dark for those night runs I guess.  I wore my new shoes to the 10K and came in 4th place.  Guess they are a winner!  And I owe Joe for his assistance. 

Here is the Asics page to compare the shoes.  Happy Shopping! 

6 comments:

  1. Shoes are so much more important to working out than people give them credit for. They can be the cause of a lot of discomfort and pain--even if they're brand new and not worn out from many miles! People often don't realize that shoes have a different purpose depending on the type and the brand as well as the type of feet the person shopping for them has. We won't even get into price and quality in what you pay for. Needless to say kudos to you for getting some preliminary information on your shoes before running your race. No one wants blisters! Have had them myself from dead shoes :) If someone has never been fitted for their shoe and had a walk/arch test done, I'd highly recommend it! Size also matters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great first post! I like how you chose to do it on shoes. I'm in need of a new pair. I don't do as much running as just working out in a gym. Do you have any cross trainers you'd recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a runner but I do work out in the gym. Running is too stressful on my ankle which has some hardware in it. I wish I could be a runner...it looks like such a great de-stresser!

    Do you suggest a good pair of shoes for working out, not necessarily running?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I change brands of shoes like the weather changes here in Nebraska. At Jazzercise, we recommend Ryka shoes as a versatile cross-trainer. Looking at the arch in your foot will help you find the best pair of shoes for the activity that you are doing. The best athletic shoes that I have worn, and that stand the test of time, at the gym include Under Armour, Asics, and Saucony. Cross trainers do tend to be heavier (sturdier)but great for lateral movement in aerobic classes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is about time for me to trade in my running shoes for a new pair as well but I am always afraid to do it because I love my shoes soo much. The first few runs in your new pair are never fun, but you have to do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always afraid of a new pair of shoes too. Your feet have to get acclimated to them.

      Delete